Monday, June 8, 2015

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

For my next summer read, I decided to choose a book I have always been curious about. One of my students is reading this now and I thought why not join her. After all, what a fun way to continue sharing a passion for reading.


I was aware that this novel was in the mystery genre, but let me tell you- the first page got my mind activated with many questions. Mostly I was super curious about how this page connected with the rest of the book. Especially since the first chapter is told from the perspective of a sixth grade girl name Claude. I believe she will be our main character of the story, but that is just my prediction. Remember, readers adjust their predictions as they learn more information as they read.


In the first chapter the reader is also introduced to Claude's three brothers and the plot of the story.
The author, E. L. Konigsburg does a great job introducing some character traits for Claude and Jamie (one of her brothers- when you will read, you will find out why he is an important part to the story). Kiddo's, this is a great opportunity to keep a running Venn-Diagram that lists both of these character's traits. This will help you keep track of how these two characters are the same and different, while playing important roles  in the plot.


Comprehension Strategies:
Ask Questions: Make a list of all the different questions you are wondering about.
Compare and Contrast: How are Claude and Jamie the same and different?
Make Connections: Are there any text-to-self connections you can make?

No comments:

Post a Comment